Here is a quick and easy share for a delicious and noteworthy treat. I only just made these yesterday and just had to share them with you…
When I first started cooking, I watched Food Network EVERY Saturday for hours in my kitchen while I cooked and baked up a storm. This was back in the days when Food Network was less about who is winning a contest and MORE about watching great chefs cooking amazing food. Ina Garten (aka the Barefoot Contessa) was my absolute, hands down, favorite celebrity. Years later, I own every one of her cookbooks and in some cases multiple copies so I could have all my favorites at my cottage too. Her kitchen, home, table settings, and food were all soooo dreamy.
Ina’s very first cookbook The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook features her best sellers made-from-scratch in her gourmet store “Barefoot Contessa” in West Hampton, NY. Let me tell you there are A LOT of tried-and-true amazing recipes in this cookbook. One of my favorites is the Banana Crunch Muffins. These babies contain the delicious combination of bananas, coconut, and granola.
I have made these muffins over the years for soooo many people – friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers. When I pick up this book now, it almost always lays open to a splattered page 212 which features this favorite recipe. Even if you are not a huge coconut fan, I encourage you to still give these a try. With only 1 cup in 24 muffins, the coconut adds sweetness without a strong flavor. Enjoy!!!!
Banana Crunch Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup ripe bananas mashed 2 bananas
- 1 cup diced banana 1 banana
- 1 cup small – diced walnuts I skip this
- 1 cup granola
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
Garnish for Muffin Tops
- sweetened shredded coconut or granola
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 20 plus muffin cups with paper liners. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the melted butter and blend. Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Scrape the bowl and blend well. Don’t over mix.
- Fold the diced bananas, walnuts (optional), granola and coconut into the batter. Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each one to the top. Top each muffin with granola or coconut, if desired. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, remove from the pan and serve.