Banana Crunch Muffins
by Ina Garten - The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup ripe bananas mashed 2 bananas
- 1 cup diced banana 1 banana
- 1 cup small - diced walnuts I skip this
- 1 cup granola
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
Garnish for Muffin Tops
- sweetened shredded coconut or granola
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 20 plus muffin cups with paper liners. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the melted butter and blend. Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Scrape the bowl and blend well. Don't over mix.
- Fold the diced bananas, walnuts (optional), granola and coconut into the batter. Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each one to the top. Top each muffin with granola or coconut, if desired. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, remove from the pan and serve.