Cookbook by Dayton-Hudson Corporation
This favorite has become a namesake dish.
Several years ago, I participated in the Bible study of a neighbor who graciously hosted us weekly at her home. When it came time to pick a new book, I offered a suggestion, and believe it or not, it actually had recipes in each chapter – A FIRST for all the years I have been in Bible studies. When we got to the end of the book, I eagerly proposed we cook some recipes and bring them to share (…of course, I did!!).
The recipe brought back so many great memories of meals shared — I made it all the time in the late ’90s. The recipe from the study book and this cookbook were very similar, so I share with you the Hudson’s classic as it was heartily gobbled up and enjoyed by all.
I picked the chicken and pasta with cheese and white wine main dish which, to me, was a no brainer — it just had to be good when made with that list of ingredients. As I started to make this dish from the study book recipe, it seemed so familiar. Then it dawned on me…I pulled out my With Warmest Regards cookbook published by the Dayton-Hudson department store, compared the two, and decided to make the classic cookbook recipe. (Yes, now I am dating myself because formerly Hudson’s, later turned into Marshall Field’s, is now current day Macy’s.)
Several ladies asked me for the recipe, which I gladly shared, as that is one of the best compliments you can receive when bringing a dish to someone else’s home. My hosting friend put this recipe in her regular rotation, making it frequently, and telling me how much she still enjoys it every time she makes it. Her family calls it “Bayer Chicken” but the real title is Chicken and Bow Ties. Enjoy it with your family and friends!
Chicken and Bow Ties
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch-wide stripes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- kosher salt to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 3/4 pound farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1/2 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish : additional Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften (about 3 minutes). Add chicken, basil, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked (10 to 15 minutes).
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, mince the tomatoes. Add tomatoes, broth, and wine to chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until mixture begins to thicken (about 5 minutes). Stir in whipping cream and cheese and simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Place drained pasta in pan with chicken. Mix gently and transfer to a serving platter. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese at the table.