Smith Lake Cake
by Elizabeth Heiskell - What Can I Bring?This cake is good enough to beckon you in the middle of the night. NO one can resist it. It is one of the best cakes I have ever made and eaten.
- 1 15.25 oz package yellow cake mix such as Duncan Hines
- 1 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding mix such as jello
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup white wine any kind
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, eggs, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, and 1/2 cup of the wine with an electric mixer at a medium speed until just blended, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high, and beat about 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 10-cup Bundt pan. Bake in the preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- While the cake is baking, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the remaining 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup wine. Pour the butter mixture over the hot cake in the pan, and cool completely, about 1 hour. Turn the cake out onto a serving plate.