Creamed Summer Corn
Acd Hoc by Thomas Keller
- 6 ears supersweet white or yellow sweet corn shucked
- 1 large lime
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 -1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon finely chopped chives
- With a sharp chef's knife, cut vertically down each ear of corn to slice off the kernels. (To remove amy silk.) Put the kernels in a large bowl, then hold each cob over the bowl and use a spoon or the back of a knife to scrape any remaining corn and the milk from the cob.
- Grate the zest of the lime, preferably with a microplane grater; set aside. Cut lime in half.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the corn, squeeze about 1 tablespoon lime juice, or to taste, over the corn, and season with salt. Reduce the heat medium-low and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, concentrating the flavor, and the corn is beginning to sizzle, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cream, the cayenne, and lime zest. Continue to cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cream is absorbed by corn. Add up to 1/4 cup more cream if desired for a creamier texture. Add salt to taste and stir in the choves.