Chipolte Chorizo Mac 'n' Cheese
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound large elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces pork and soy chorizo
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 3 chipoltes in adobo diced
- 8 ounces shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 4 ounces shredded Gouda cheese plus 1/4 cup for topping
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, simmer the milk until it almost comes to a boil; remove from the heat ans set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until well combined. Continue to whisk the sauce until it's thick and can coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta to al dente, about 2 minutes less than recommended cooking time. Drain the pasta and run under cold water to stop the coking. The pasta will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Remove the chorizo from its casing. cook the chorizo in a small skillet over medium-high heat until slightly dry and browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a towel-lined plate to drain away excess fat. Set aside.
- Place the sauce back over medium-high heat and stir until warm. Season with the salt. pepper, and chipoltes and stir to combine. Add the pepper Jack cheese and 4 ounces of the Gouda in handfuls and stir to melt into the sauce. Add the pasta to the sauce and fold in the chorizo, then pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the panko and melted butter in a bowl, stirring to mix. Top the macaroni with the remianing 1/4 cup shredded Gouda and sprinkle with the panko topping. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until bubbling.
Preheat the oven to 350