Chicken Stew With Biscuits
This is essentially a chicken pot pie topped with homemade biscuits; you can substitute any pot pie filling.
- 3 whole (6 split) chicken breasts bone in and skin on
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kosher salt to taste
- 1 fresh black ground pepper to taste
- 5 cups chicken stock preferably home made
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter 1 1/2 sticks
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion 2 onions
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups medium diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes 4 carrots
- 1 10 oz pkg frozen peas 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions (pearl) (optional)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
For the Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 pound cold unsalted butter (1 stick) diced
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut the chicken into large dice. You will have 4 to 6 cups of cubed chicken. ( I have used a rotisserie chicken when I am in a hurry).
- In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute' the onions over medium-low heat for 10 - 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring until thick. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the heavy cream. Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley. Mix well. Place the stew in a 10 x 13 x 2- inch oval or rectangle baking dish. Place the baking dish on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the biscuits. combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Add the half-and-half and combine on low speed. Mix in the parsley.
- Dump the dough out on a well-floured board a, with a rolling pin, roll out to 3/8 inch thick. Cut out twelve circles with 2 1/2 inch round cutter ( I use a glass).
- Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the biscuits on top of the filling. Brush them with egg wash, and return the dish to the oven. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are brown and the stew is bubbly.